Got a tip?: tips@bullonthestreet.com
Email: info@bullonthestreet.com

Facebook is Doing its Part to Help the Planet

Facebook is doing what it can to help save the planet.

The social media company recently announced that it has signed contracts for over three gigawatts of new solar and wind energy since 2013, the first time it ever purchased wind power.

Facebook has made a big investment into renewable energy and wants to slash its greenhouse emissions and power global operations with clean energy.

The company made a 2015 goal of supporting 50 percent of its facilities with renewable energy by 2018. Facebook also says it is two years away from 100% renewable energy.

Facebook says on its website, “In 2017 we exceeded our goal of sourcing 50% clean and renewable energy a year earlier than we targeted. We’re now working to achieve 100% renewable across all of our operations by the end of 2020.”

“CEO Mark Zuckerberg has reaffirmed Facebook’s place among business leaders in the race to be coal-free and 100 percent renewable-powered,” remarked Gary Cook, senior corporate campaigner at Greenpeace.

“If we are to stay within the 1.5-degree threshold that scientists say is crucial to avoid catastrophic climate change, we need many more companies stepping up to adopt aggressive renewable energy and greenhouse gas reduction goals,” Cook said.

“Because of variations in renewable energy markets and utilities, these projects are done through mechanisms such as renewable energy tariffs and direct power purchase agreements. … In other words, these projects would not be happening without the long-term financial commitment that Facebook has undertaken,” said Facebook spokesperson Melanie Roe said in an email.

According to the company’s website, last year Facebook’s total carbon footprint was 979,000 metric tons of carbon dioxide equivalent (MT CO2e).

The company’s offices and other business activity account for 38% of our carbon footprint. The other 62% is from our data centers.

Facebook has said, “We know that if the planet isn’t healthy in the years to come, we won’t be either. We’re committed to designing efficient infrastructure and moving to 100% clean and renewable energy sources by 2020. We’ll continue to share what we’ve learned so others can leverage it for their own operations, and help build market demand.”

Leave a Comment